Please join us for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres, and the signature WIRB dessert bar from 6-10pm at the Marriott
• 8:00 - 9:00 am - Breakfast
• 9:00 - 9:15 am - Welcome and Introductions - Donald A. Deieso, Ph.D Executive Chairman WIRB/Copernicus
• 9:15 - 10:15 am - Featured Speaker: Thomas Geotz, The Decision Tree
• 10:15 - 10:45 am - Break and book signing
• 10:45 -11:30- David Forster, MA, JD, CIP - Questions of Regulatory and Ethical Interpretation of Risk
• 11:30 - 1:00 pm - International Panel: “Raising the Bar on Ethical Decision Making in Research Outside the US"
Moderated by Stuart Horowitz, PhD, MBA
Featuring: Eman Sadoun, MD, Supreme Council of Health Research Department, Qatar • Ali Abu0Alfa, MD • Greg Koski, MD, PhD, President and Founder, Alliance for Clinical Research Excellence and Safety
• 1:00 - 2:00 pm - Lunch
• 2:00 - 3:00 pm - Susan Collins, Ph.D “A Case Study in Managing and Minimizing Risk with a Vulnerable and Marginalized Population”
• 3:00 - 3:15 pm - Break
• 3:15 - 5:00 pm - Allen Hornblum & Charles Dyer "The History of Using Institutionalized Children as Medical Test Subjects”
• 5:45 - 10:00 pm - Offsite event with dinner and entertainment
Please join us for a wonderful evening of music, dance, trapeze and comedy as we spend the evening at the delightfully quirky Teatro ZinZanni. The elegant and intimate comfort of the antique Belgian spiegeltent (or mirror tent) is the perfect backdrop for this slightly PG-13 show with just a touch of circus, vaudeville and burlesque. A lovely five course meal and cocktails will be just one of our evenings highlights.
• 8:00 - 9:00 am Breakfast
• 9:00 - 9:30 am - Welcome - Stuart Horowitz, Ph.D, MBA
• 9:30 -10:15 am - Featured Speaker: Joe Hallinan - Author ‘Why We Make Mistakes’
• 10:15-10:45 pm - Break and book signing
• 10:45 - 12:00 pm - Art Caplan, Ph.D - "The Challenge Of High Risk Research In Poor Communities: The Case of Cholera Vaccine"
• 12:00 - 1:00 pm - Lunch
• 1:00 - 3:00 pm - The evolving landscape of human research protections: the sponsor and CRO perspective
Lindsay McNair, MD, MPH, Equipoise Consulting: The Sponsor’s Perspective on Conducting Multi-Center Studies
Phil Bach. Vice President of Clinical Research, Celerion
• 3:00 - 3:15 pm - Break
• 3:15 - 5:00 pm - Panel of Board: "Challenges from Institutional Perspective" featuring Karen
Hansen of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Karen Moe, Director - Human Subjects Dvision, University of Washington, and Gary Chadwick, Pharm.D., M.P.H. of the University of Rochester Medical Center
• 6:00 pm - Please join us for dinner at the Marriott
As always, all program events are complimentary for invited guests (you will be responsible for travel and hotel costs).
WIRB would like to thank the University of Washington and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Resarch Center
for their generous support in helping make this program possible.